Women Lead Initiative
Celebrating and fostering women’s achievements in design.
Women today outnumber men in AIGA’s membership—as in design schools and disciplines—yet leadership, representation, and parity remain a challenge.
The AIGA Women Lead Initiative (WLI) is committed to empowering women in design and advancing the vital discourse on issues facing professional women today without generalizing or segregating women designers. Instead, we aim to address persistent biases and inequities inclusively and constructively through programming around three goals:
- Celebrate the achievements of women in design.
- Cultivate awareness of gender-related issues, while building knowledge and leadership skills.
- Connect by facilitating relationships within and beyond the design industry.
Gender Equity Toolkit
The Gender Equity Toolkit is a great set of resources including videos and a downloadable DIY activity set you can use to battle one of the leading causes of disparate access to leadership positions in the design field: implicit gender bias. As an AIGA member, you have exclusive access to download the kit for free.
More ways to get involved in Women Lead:
- Explore the growing WLI resources page for helpful tips and inspirational stories.
- Attend your local chapter's WLI programming and events.
- Join the WLI LinkedIn group and follow #AIGAwomenlead on Twitter.
- Meet the WLI steering commitee.
- Nominate a future WLI speaker, profile subject, or webcast presenter: contact AIGA strategic initiatives.
- Send a digital WLI postcard to a woman you admire on International Women’s Day (March 8) or any time of the year.
Design Leader interview series
Here at AIGA, we are lucky to work alongside partners who believe just as strongly in women's leadership as we do. Last year, the AIGA Women Lead committee launched our first interview series to ask design leaders at studios, agencies, and companies who have demonstrated a commitment to gender equity to contribute to this extremely important initiative. We couldn't be more excited to share their unique Women Lead stories.
To get involved and support the Women Lead campaign, contact AIGA Strategic Initiatives.
IBM is proud to support AIGA Women Lead in 2017.