Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
Encouraging diversity in design education, discourse, and practice to strengthen and expand the relevance of design in all areas of society.
Despite progress made over the course of AIGA’s 100-year history, especially since its landmark 1991 symposium (“Why is graphic design 93% white?”), there are vast opportunities to support a more diverse audience of design students, practitioners, managers, thinkers, enthusiasts, clients, consumers, and policy makers.
Recent passionate conversations among AIGA members have catalyzed a new Diversity & Inclusion Initiative to augment ongoing AIGA programs with new ideas and resources that take a comprehensive approach, considering race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability and disability, age, and other factors that shape creative perspective and professional experience. Join us to:
- Celebrate a diverse array of influential designers, including historical figures and contemporary role models.
- Cultivate greater opportunity, awareness of diversity issues, and inclusive design cultures.
- Connect with students, emerging designers, and like-minded groups to support a broader range of future practitioners and leaders.
How you can get involved:
- Join the discussion on Twitter @AIGAdesign with the hashtag #AIGAtogether.
- Explore the growing list of Diversity and Inclusion resources.
- Meet the new Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.
- Volunteer with an AIGA chapter mentorship program to support a diverse new generation of designers.
- Encourage design students from minority or economically disadvantaged backgrounds to apply for a Worldstudio AIGA Scholarship.
- Nominate a designer for a Design Journeys profile or a diversity expert for an AIGA chapter or national event: contact AIGA strategic initiatives.
- Attend a Diversity and Inclusion event near you.
Diversity & Inclusion Mini-Summit Sponsor