Design for Good
Design for Good is a movement to ignite, accelerate, and amplify design-driven social change.
As of 2016, AIGA reinstates its commitment to public good, social impact, and civic engagement by threading its strategic initiatives together under a newly evolved Design for Good ethos to increase coherency between them and to demonstrate design’s problem-solving value while reinforcing AIGA’s leadership and influence.
The Design for Good umbrella includes the following strategic initiatives:
- Design for Democracy (program focus: Get out the Vote and ballot design)
- Diversity & Inclusion (program focus: D&I Guidebook)
- Women Lead (program focus: Gender Equity Toolkit)
- and the repositioned Design for Communities (which covers most of the chapter activities, including partnerships with local nonprofits, youth development programs, creative peacemaking efforts to name a few)
Living Principles will function as a set of actionable criteria currently under re-assessment by a dedicated task force.
Design for Good will continue to be a place that:
- Demonstrates the true power of design in tackling societal challenges through design thinking and problem-solving
- Offers hands-on leadership opportunities, professional development, and fundraising/partnering opportunities for our chapters
- Creates meaningful programs of engagement, events, storytelling, and open dialogs.
- Join us for the Design for Good monthly webcast series, starting December 2, 2016, with new episodes rolling out the third Friday of each month through Spring 2017. The program will address the following themes: social impact design, gender equity, civic engagement in urban communities, government innovation, racial justice by design, youth development, impact measurement methods, and public health access.
- Read through our rich collection of case studies profiled below, which cover a wide range of stories from designers pushing health care and safety clients to embrace social innovation to engaging in cities, partnering with local non-profits, and more. See how design can make an impact.